Conover StationConover, NC
The Conover Station Project involved the re-positioning of the former Warlong Glove Manufacturing Company facility, circa 1935, for use as a regional, multi-modal transportation center. Program spaces include a train station, bus station, community center and public library. The total project area of 26,000 square feet includes the renovation and a new construction component. Developed by the City of Conover, in conjunction with the Western Piedmont Council of Governments, NCDENR and US EPA, Conover Station is the centerpiece of the 27 acre Broyhill Re-development site.
The qualities that made the Warlong building so adaptable are being maintained so as to make the building adaptable on into the future. A flexible open layout and efficient use of new construction elements allowed the project to meet the needs of many generations as it has historically. Wherever possible, original parts of the building were kept and structural elements were used as the finished surface. Also, regionally sourced and manufactured materials were used in the new construction elements of the project.
The addition of public interior space and a circulation core were designed to engage the landscape by facing a future public park. An observation deck overlooks the park and an adjacent roof’s structure has been augmented to support the addition of a green roof in the future, further connecting the Multimodal center to the landscape.
This project incorporated numerous sustainable design strategies, including whole building monitoring, and was awarded LEED Gold Certification by the USGBC.