Mill 800Winston-Salem, NC
The Mill 800 Project involved the re-positioning of a 250,000 sf mill facility for market rate apartments. Once owned by the Chatham Manufacturing Company, the mill first produced blankets and then transitioned to car upholstery in the 1930’s. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the complex is comprised of fifteen distinct structures. Constructed between 1907 and 1946, the buildings occupy a site of approximately 8 acres. Project scope included abatement of hazardous materials, selective demolition and complete building renovation of all structures. The design process involved close coordination with the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service. Project funding sources included federal historic tax credits, NC Mill Rehabilitation Tax credits, HUD and conventional financing.