Golden Leaf ApartmentsWilson, NC
The original Charles L. Coon School, circa 1920, was an unusually large school building, which included a full gym, swimming pool, classrooms, cafeteria and auditorium. Over time, this monument to the achievements of a rural community had been abandoned and had fallen into disrepair.
This renovation included the conversion of 91,000 square feet of educational space into a community facility for elderly living, and a meeting hall and offices for use by a local non-profit group. Tise-Kiester Architects, Historic Acquisitions LLC, and Weaver-Cooke Construction used a combination of historic tax credits, low-income housing tax credits, and conventional sources of funding to complete this renovation.